Monday 2 April 2012

Books I'm lovin'


Since I stepped up my saving game around October, when I started my new job in London I've read  more books than I have in the last few years since I was at university. 

From the age of five I constantly had my head buried in a book, which I think helped me throughout school to do well in the humanity based subjects. I think reading is a fundamental part of a child's development as it helps to improve spelling, writing, vocabulary, attention span...the list is endless. 

After managing to achieve to A's at GCSE in English and English literature it was a natural (if somewhat delayed) decision to study English literature at university. However, uni life took over and my shelves of books were skim read in preparation for the arduous task of writing countless essays. 

I think choosing this degree killed my love of books somewhat, and I found that after uni between working a full time, and part time job picking up a book was a rarity that was confined to holidays only.  I also drove to work for two years, so I didn't have much of an opportunity to squeeze my reading  sessions into my daily life compared to now that I commute to work. I find its a great to lose myself in a story, and what's more books give you hours of entertainment for very little cost. 

Over the last six months the library has been indispensable; primarily due to the fact we have moved and its now just across the road. I thought I would share my favourite books that I've read over the past few months with you; here goes!

1. One day by David Nicholls. 

This was bought for me as a birthday present, and once I had opened its brightly coloured cover I was gripped. It was a real page turner, and I would highly recommend the book to anyone. I read the book and was intrigued to watch the film. Though the story stays true to the text the acting is wooden and somewhat disappointing so read the book first. 

2. The help by Kathryn Stockett  
This was recommended to me by someone who had also read 'One day' who said if I liked this book I would love 'The help'. I found this book a little difficult to get into at first, but once I had broken through the into part I was hooked. Again, I watched the film once I had finished the book and though it was acted better than 'One day' I still enjoyed the book more. 

3. The time travelers wife by Audrey Niffenegger 

This was also given to me as a gift, and I absolutely loved the look and feel of this vintage edition (pictured above). The novel lingered on my bookshelf for around six months when I finally decided to get stuck in. Again it was a little difficult to get into as the text flips back and forth in time but lots of people have commented on the novel when they have seen it on my desk as to what a lovely story it is. I'm part way through, and watched a little of the film last night. I plan to watch the rest over the course of this week. 

4. Water for elephants by Sara Greun 

This was recommended to me by the person who recommended 'The help' and after enjoying that book so much I ordered this from Amazon for about £1.50. At first I thought the story was a little odd, a reflective story told by an elderly man about a travelling circus, but after a couple of chapters I couldn't help but love it. The writing is very descriptive, so I think it's definitely worth a read. Since finishing this tale I really want to pay a visit to the circus again. I also havn't seen the film yet, but want to when it makes it onto LoveFilm or Netflicks. 

5. 'E' by Matt Beaumont 

A must read for anyone working at an advertising agency; this was recommended by a number of people at work who described it as hilarious and true to life. It was a fast paced read, and the story is told through a series of email trails. I found it captured some of the typical characters working at the ad agency, and even found myself relating some characters to those around me. There is also a couple of sequels to this, but colleagues have warned that like many sequels they ain't quite as good as the original. 

What are you reading at the moment? 

Another hot question often asked by fellow book lovers, are you for or against The Kindle? x


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanking you very muchly for your comment :)